Creating a QuickBooks Advance Taken Account
1. Dr. Dispatch is capable of handling advances taken from a broker or any customer bill. This feature operates identically for both trucking and brokerage and must be set up prior to use.
2. Processing advances taken presents a special challenge because the funds taken from the advance check are used in a variety of ways.
3. In order to prevent unnecessary bookkeeping problems, we strongly suggest using your 'Undeposited Funds' account only.
4. Open the chart of accounts in your company QuickBooks file by either using the list menu or CTRL + A on your keyboard.
5. You should see 'Undeposited Funds' listed.
6. Go to lists-> item list then right-click on the item list and choose 'New".
7. Important: 'Type' must be set to 'Payment'
8. Name the new line item 'Advance Taken' or something similar.
9. Select the income account where the deposit will be made; we strongly suggest 'Undeposited Funds'.
10. Press 'OK' to save the new line item.
Configuring an Advance Taken Account
1. Open Dr. Dispatch and select System-> set up-> QuickBooks set up
2. Press the 'Setup Now' button and go to the 'Manage Accounts' tab.
3. Important: you must place a checkmark next to 'Payment Items' before pressing the 'Refresh' button.
4. With the proper QuickBooks company file still open in the background, press the 'Refresh' button and wait until all the fields populate.
5. All of your prior items and accounts should come back after refreshing the setup screen. You have simply added a new item to existing items.
6. Locate the 'Advance Taken' field at the bottom of the page, click the drop-down list and you should see your new line item in the list; choose your new account from the list.
7. Press the 'Save Changes' button.
8.You may now exit the QuickBooks setup as this finalizes the 'Advance Taken' set up.
9. To test this new feature, select any load then open the 'Customer Rate' screen. Place a positive amount in the 'Advance Taken' field for the purposes of this test.
10. Print the test invoice and ensure the amount due has been reduced by the amount of the advance.
11. Export the invoice to QuickBooks, and ensure the balance due is the same amount reflected in Dr. Dispatch.
12. Return to the 'Undeposited Funds' account in QuickBooks and ensure the amount of the advance was deducted from this account.
13. At the top of the QuickBooks screen, go to banking-> make deposit and you should see all of the advances taken listed on the screen.
14. Place a checkmark next to each advance and move them to the appropriate income account. The advances can be split up and allocated to different accounts based upon the needs and preferences of your company.